“How do we ensure that schools are warm, welcoming, fair, and effective in the treatment of all students?”
As Education Week recently reported, a new study by the Center for Benefit-Cost Studies of Education at Columbia University's Teachers College, "The Economic Value of Social and Emotional Learning," found that high-quality, research-validated social and emotional learning programs bring a return of $11 for every $1 invested.
Only rarely does a teachable moment come along that is as powerful as the one we're in right now. Ever since the deaths of Michael Brown and Eric Garner, teachers have been encouraging their students to share their feelings and thoughts, discuss, and learn more about what's in and behind the news.
Our first #GivingTuesday was a success, thanks to you!
It was great to see people around the world giving to good causes - and to see the support from OUR community throughout the day. Thank you so much for your contributions and for spreading the word!
Since it's #GivingTuesday, we thought we'd share some of our favorite TeachableMoment lessons with you!
It was supposed to be a top 10 list, but after going around the office to ask staff for their favorites, we ended up with 38 lessons. It was hard, but we managed to get it down to 15! Here they are, in no particular order:
Morningside Center has helped hundreds of schools turn the corner on fighting, bullying, and disrespect.
We work hand in hand with teachers and school leaders to create a positive school and classroom climate by building social and emotional skills in young people and adults.
- School Services
- Classroom Lessons
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
TeachableMoment Recent Classroom Lessons
- Presidential Conflicts of Interest February 20, 2017
- DeVos and a Controversy over Public Education February 20, 2017
- Black History Month & the Danger of a Single Story February 13, 2017
Social & Emotional Learning
- Immigration: Where are we from? January 29, 2017
- Building Community, Post-Election: The Power of Kindness November 18, 2016
- Building Community, Post-Election: Sharing our Values November 18, 2016
- NewsLatest in news, events, & announcements!
- Ask the KeeperAnswers to your questions about restorative practices in schools.
- In the CircleStaff developer Marieke van Woerkom’s blog on circles and restorative practices
- SEL TipsSEL strategies for solving classroom challenges.
- Stories and VoicesWritings from teachers, students & our staff