The Montgomery County, Maryland, public schools wanted to introduce teachers to social and emotional learning strategies - so they called on Morningside Center's executive director, Tom Roderick.
For the past three years, Morningside Center has partnered with the NYC Department of Education to bring "restorative circles" to schools throughout the city.
"Sometimes I walk into schools and all I hear is people barking orders. Kids feel attacked," said educator and author Shaka Senghor in a powerful keynote talk at Morningside Center’s Courageous Schools conference on May 17, 2014.
It's Pride Month! Here's a selection of TeachableMoment lessons you can use to mark the month, and links to other resources.
Here’s an activity that helps students (K-6) see themselves as active players in the world.
We've posted new details about our Courageous Schools conference coming up on May 17:
Students across New York City began high-stakes testing today – or at least most of them did. Parents from three Brooklyn schools announced that 80% of students at the schools had opted out of the tests. Opposition to the testing regime is visible and rising in the city.
- School Services
- Classroom Lessons
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
TeachableMoment Recent Classroom Lessons
- Trump inaugurated, women & allies march January 22, 2017
- Why the Controversy over Attorney General Nominee Jeff Sessions? January 19, 2017
- What Does the Trump Administration Mean for Climate Change? January 16, 2017
Social & Emotional Learning
- Building Community, Post-Election: The Power of Kindness November 18, 2016
- Building Community, Post-Election: Sharing our Values November 18, 2016
- Election Emotions: Sharing & Community-Building November 9, 2016
- NewsLatest in news, events, & announcements!
- Ask the KeeperAnswers to your questions about restorative practices in schools.
- In the CircleStaff developer Marieke van Woerkom’s blog on circles and restorative practices
- SEL TipsSEL strategies for solving classroom challenges.
- Stories and VoicesWritings from teachers, students & our staff