I’ve been complimented on my English about as often as I’ve been asked why I don’t speak Spanish. In high school and college I was frequently labeled “exotic.” My curly hair is mystifying to people everywhere, it seems, as I am constantly asked a stream of questions about it. Is it really just like that? How do I control it? Why don’t I straighten it?
Stories and Voices
I start each morning perusing the internet in search of articles on education. I’ll open everything that looks interesting, until the window runs out of space (as I write this I have 16 tabs open in Chrome).
If you subscribe to our monthly newsletter, you received links to about 80 articles from us this year. These are some of my favorites. If you click through you’ll see some common themes. I’m drawn to articles about how to be mindful of our personal biases, how to help students explore their interests and get them involved in decision-making, and encouraging a love of learning. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
Lupe, a 12th grader from Brooklyn, talks about why she decided to become a Circle Keeper and the impact it has had on her interactions with other students.
Caryn, 12th grader, on Restorative Circles
- School Services
- Classroom Lessons
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
TeachableMoment Recent Classroom Lessons
- Presidential Conflicts of Interest February 20, 2017
- DeVos and a Controversy over Public Education February 20, 2017
- Black History Month & the Danger of a Single Story February 13, 2017
Social & Emotional Learning
- Immigration: Where are we from? January 29, 2017
- Building Community, Post-Election: The Power of Kindness November 18, 2016
- Building Community, Post-Election: Sharing our Values November 18, 2016
- NewsLatest in news, events, & announcements!
- Ask the KeeperAnswers to your questions about restorative practices in schools.
- In the CircleStaff developer Marieke van Woerkom’s blog on circles and restorative practices
- SEL TipsSEL strategies for solving classroom challenges.
- Stories and VoicesWritings from teachers, students & our staff