PAZ After-School Programs
Making pottery at PS 24 PAZ program. Photo © Carolina Kroon
PAZ (Peace from A-Z) After-School Programs
Morningside Center for Teaching Social Responsibility operates three after-school programs that strengthen the social and emotional competencies of some 560 students from grades K-8. Out of school time provides opportunities for students to explore the concepts taught in Morningside Center’s day school programs through artistic, athletic and intellectual projects and activities.
PAZ @ P.S. 24
The PAZ @ P.S. 24 program reaches 180 elementary school children at Brooklyn’s P.S. 24. The program operates from 3 to 6 p.m. every school day as well as over the summer and during school holidays. PAZ @ P.S. 24 was launched in September 1999 by Morningside Center and P.S. 24 with funding from The After-School Corporation.
PAZ @ P.S. 214 Middle School
The PAZ @ P.S. 214 program reaches 160 middle school children at P.S. 214 in the East Tremont section of the Bronx. The program operates Monday – Thursday from 3 to 5 p.m. as well as on school holidays. PAZ @ P.S. 214 was launched in September 2009.
PAZ @ P.S. 214 Elementary School
The PAZ @ P.S. 214 Elementary program serves 220 children, grades 1-5, with a program of academic support, social and emotional learning, engaging art and science and community projects, and cooperative sports. The program operates every school day from 3-6 pm and all day during school holidays.
PAZ After-School programs help children learn to
- Communicate better
- Identify and express feelings
- Manage anger
- Handle conflicts nonviolently
- Cooperate with peers
- Respect differences
- Stand up to bias
- Make healthy life choices
PAZ students participate in activities including:
- Arts and Crafts
- Cooperative / Competitive Sports
- Community service
- Humanitarian relief organizing
- Newspaper / Newsletter
- Conflict Resolution
- Homework Help / Academic Enrichment
For more information, please contact Lillian Castro, Morningside Center’s director of administration, at 212.870.3318 x33 or by email at LCastro@MorningsideCenter.org.
- School Services
- Classroom Lessons
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
TeachableMoment Recent Classroom Lessons
- Why the Controversy over Attorney General Nominee Jeff Sessions? January 19, 2017
- What Does the Trump Administration Mean for Climate Change? January 16, 2017
- Helping Students Counter Anti-Muslim Bias January 2, 2017
Social & Emotional Learning
- Building Community, Post-Election: The Power of Kindness November 18, 2016
- Building Community, Post-Election: Sharing our Values November 18, 2016
- Election Emotions: Sharing & Community-Building November 9, 2016