Planning for Social & Emotional Learning
Principal Roberta Davenport with students at PS 307, Brooklyn.
Photo © Carolina Kroon
Research increasingly shows that creating a school-wide climate of trust and respect is essential in improving our schools. We provide tailored support for principals in leading with emotional intelligence and in engaging all members of the school community in planning for and implementing schoolwide social and emotional learning (SEL).
The project includes:
Principal Coaching. We provide focused, one-on-one support for principals to support them in leading with emotional intelligence
Collaborative Planning. We support the principals and a school SEL planning team as they develop a vision of SEL that is fully integrated into the school’s culture; make action plans; carry them out; and evaluate progress. To guide us, we use our manual Educating Heart and Mind: A Strategy for SchoolTransformation based on Social & Emotional Learning.
- Building SEL Capacity School-wide. We support the school in implementing a multifaceted school-wide approach to SEL that includes consistent classroom instruction, student leadership, and SEL-oriented discipline policies.
For more information, please contact Tom Roderick, Morningside Center’s executive director, at 212.870.3318 x32 or by email.
- School Services
- Classroom Lessons
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
TeachableMoment Recent Classroom Lessons
- Trump inaugurated, women & allies march January 22, 2017
- Why the Controversy over Attorney General Nominee Jeff Sessions? January 19, 2017
- What Does the Trump Administration Mean for Climate Change? January 16, 2017
Social & Emotional Learning
- Building Community, Post-Election: The Power of Kindness November 18, 2016
- Building Community, Post-Election: Sharing our Values November 18, 2016
- Election Emotions: Sharing & Community-Building November 9, 2016