NYC MUSLIM COMMUNITY CENTER: Why There? Why Not?
Three student readings describe plans for the controversial center, multiple perspectives about it, and an overview of mosque protests in New York City and elsewhere. Suggestions for a fish bowl discussion follow.
By Alan Shapiro
Student Reading 1:
Sacred ground or bridging a cultural divide?
Student Reading 2:
Multiple views of the proposed Muslim center
- Former House speaker Newt Gingrich said Obama was "pandering to radical Islam." (New York Times, 8/14/10)
- House minority leader John Boehner said the decision to build the center and mosque was "deeply troubling," as was the president's decision to endorse it. (Times, 8/14/10)
- Rep. Peter King of New York said the president "is wrong." (Times, 8/14/10)
Student Reading 3:
Protests, a bonfire, and a physical attack
Fish bowl discussion
For further inquiry
- School Services
- Classroom Lessons
- Events & News
- Contact Us
TeachableMoment Latest Lessons
Most Popular Current Issues
- 9/11 ANNIVERSARY TEACHING GUIDE Aug. 31, 2011
- Practice DBQ: The Decision to Drop the Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima & Nagasaki Jan. 29, 2007
- WHAT HAPPENS INSIDE PRISON May. 23, 2007
Most Popular Social & Emotional Learning
- GETTING TO KNOW YOU: Classroom Activities for Starting Off the School Year Sep. 3, 2008
- Find Someone Who Jan. 30, 2007
- Be strong, Be Mean, or Give In? Nov. 7, 2011
TeachableMoment, a project of Morningside Center for Teaching Social Responsibility, fosters social responsibility by sharing free K-12 classroom lessons, activities and ideas with educators.