Learning from the Inside Out
“As adults, we often take control when it comes to “disciplinary” interventions: We tell kids how to fix things. We decide on consequences for their actions without too much listening or conversation. Yes, it’s quick, but it usually doesn’t allow us to get to the bottom of things.”
In her latest In the Circle blogpost, our trainer Marieke van Woerkom shares the story of how one student came to understand the impact of his bullying without any lectures from adults.
'Testing for Joy & Grit?' I don't think so.
"Offering extrinsic rewards is a form of expecting the worst of people. Its flip side is punishment: The idea that the only reason people won't do something horrible is fear of sanction."
Morningside Center Deputy Executive Director Tala Manassah talks about alternatives to suspending kids in early childhood education at the Albert Shanker Institute: "Suspensions are not only ineffective, they're immoral. A suspension means that we are saying to the kid, 'You are not part of this community anymore. You are not wanted.' If there are kids who are outside the reach of schools, then schools have got to change."
Our Diversity Panel Program "helps kids who have been teased or excluded to understand that it’s not just their personal problem. It breaks the isolation they feel by helping them understand that this is happening to so many of us. And to see that we can do something about it.” See our brand new video about the program, and find out more on our blog!
Morningside Center in the news:
- WNYC features progress at a Restore360 school.
- Education Week details findings from cost-benefit study of The 4Rs & 5 other SEL programs.
- Telemundo features our PAZ After-School Program at PS 214 in the Bronx.
- New York Times reports on our cutting edge coaching process.
- Education Week features our 4Rs Program.
- Live, Research & Learn: WT Grant blogpost shares insights from our 26-year collaboration with researchers.
- School Services
- Classroom Lessons
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
TeachableMoment Recent Classroom Lessons
Social & Emotional Learning
- Interrupting Oppressive Behavior April 17, 2016
- Empathy & Solidarity to Counter the Wave of Anti-Muslim Bias December 13, 2015
- 3 Allies: A Story about Standing Up December 9, 2015