Morningside Center Senior Program Director Kristin Stuart Valdes guides educators in using this powerful classroom strategy in her latest article on Edutopia.
How Can We Help?
In recent weeks, schools have reported many incidents of bullying and harassment. Educators around the country are looking for ways to build the classroom and school community, counter bias and harassment, and promote critical thinking about what is happening in the world. Here are ways we can help.
TeachableMoment includes a wealth of classroom activities that promote respect and understanding and encourage exploration of current political and social issues. We post new lessons nearly every week.
Our enewsletter, which we usually send out every two weeks, will give you ideas and inspiration, keep you updated on new lessons and share resources (like these on making our schools safe and welcoming for transgender students).
Our programs will help you create a positive classroom and school climate, develop students’ social and emotional skills, and counter bias and bullying. We regularly work in NYC public schools and we partner with other districts as well. Contact us for more information. Our key programs include: Restore360 for grades 3-12, The 4Rs for preK-5, and CREW for middle and after-school.
Morningside Center selected to receive i3 award to advance equity in schools
We are thrilled to announce that Morningside Center has been selected to receive a federal Investing in Innovation (i3) grant. Our proposal was one of 15 selected among the 385 proposals received by the federal Department of Education. The grant will fund a "Whole School Restorative Practices Project" in 12 high-needs NYC public schools.
"The i3 grant will enable us to create a powerful and practical set of tools and strategies educators can use to honor and elevate the humanity and dignity of each child, every day," says Morningside Center Deputy Executive Director Tala Manassah. Read more.
Morningside Center in the news:
- Edutopia runs our 6 lessons learned on restorative practices, and Kristin Stuart Valdes' article on the Untapped SEL Tool: Conflict.
- NY Times Magazine features a Restore360 school.
- Education Week runs our article on "Testing for Joy & Grit."
- WNYC features progress at a Restore360 school.
- Education Week details findings from cost-benefit study of The 4Rs & 5 other SEL programs.
- New York Times reports on our cutting edge coaching process.
- Education Week features our 4Rs Program.
- Live, Research & Learn: WT Grant blogpost shares insights from our 26-year collaboration with researchers.
- School Services
- Classroom Lessons
- Get Involved
- Contact Us