How Can We Help?
In recent weeks, schools have reported many incidents of bullying and harassment. Many students are anxious about the news. Educators around the country are looking for ways to address students' anxieties, build the classroom and school community, and counter bias and harassment. Here are ways we can help.Lessons and teaching ideas
- Activities and guidelines for building community and countering bias in the wake of the election
- Additional resources from New York City Schools Chancellor Carmen Fariña
- TeachableMoment.org includes many activities to promote respect and understanding and to encourage exploration of political and social issues.
- Sign up for our usually biweekly enewsletter to find out about newly posted lessons.
Programs and professional development
We provide training and coaching for educators in programs that create a positive classroom and school climate,develop students’ social and emotional skills, and counter bias and bullying. We regularly work in NYC public schools and we partner with other districts as well. Contact us for more information. Our key programs include: Restore360 for grades 3-12, The 4Rs for preK-8, and CREW for middle and after-school
Morningside Center selected to receive i3 award to advance equity in schools
We are thrilled to announce that Morningside Center has been selected to receive a federal Investing in Innovation (i3) grant. Our proposal was one of 15 selected among the 385 proposals received by the federal Department of Education. The grant will fund a "Whole School Restorative Practices Project" in 12 high-needs NYC public schools.
"The i3 grant will enable us to create a powerful and practical set of tools and strategies educators can use to honor and elevate the humanity and dignity of each child, every day," says Morningside Center Deputy Executive Director Tala Manassah. Read more.
Morningside Center in the news:
- Edutopia runs our 6 lessons learned on restorative practices
- NY Times Magazine features a Restore360 school.
- Education Week runs our article on "Testing for Joy & Grit."
- WNYC features progress at a Restore360 school.
- Education Week details findings from cost-benefit study of The 4Rs & 5 other SEL programs.
- New York Times reports on our cutting edge coaching process.
- Education Week features our 4Rs Program.
- Live, Research & Learn: WT Grant blogpost shares insights from our 26-year collaboration with researchers.
- School Services
- Classroom Lessons
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
TeachableMoment Recent Classroom Lessons
- Why the Controversy over Attorney General Nominee Jeff Sessions? January 19, 2017
- What Does the Trump Administration Mean for Climate Change? January 16, 2017
- Helping Students Counter Anti-Muslim Bias January 2, 2017
Social & Emotional Learning
- Building Community, Post-Election: The Power of Kindness November 18, 2016
- Building Community, Post-Election: Sharing our Values November 18, 2016
- Election Emotions: Sharing & Community-Building November 9, 2016