Our Vision & Mission
Morningside Center envisions human societies that are just, peaceful, environmentally sustainable, and truly democratic. We pursue this vision every day in schools, working hand in hand with educators. Together, we create caring, productive, and equitable schools where students learn the skills they need to contribute to their communities—from the classroom to the world.
Morningside Center was founded in 1982 by educators who saw that young people were key to a future without war and hatred. Then they rolled up their sleeves and got to work in public schools. Find out more.
- No one is an island. Our well-being as individuals is inextricably linked with the well-being of our community and the world.
- We all have gifts. We all have the capacity to listen, learn, care and act to make life better for ourselves and our community.
- We are resilient. We can overcome old hurts, free ourselves from destructive habits, and tap our strengths.
- It’s about relationships. With thoughtful, sustained, loving support, we can help young people develop the capacities and skills they need to thrive and to contribute to building a better world.
Morningside Center's skilled, stable, diverse, and friendly staff includes 30 per diem staff developers who bring our work into schools. Find out more here.
Our Board of Directors brings wide-ranging expertise and commitment to the organization. Find out more here.
We are deeply grateful to the foundations that helpsupport our work! Recent funders include:
- Jean and Louis Dreyfus Foundation
- Einhorn Family Charitable Trust
- Geen Family Foundation
- Charles Lawrence Keith and Clara Miller Foundation
- New York Community Trust
- NoVo Foundation
- Pinkerton Foundation
- SHS Foundation
- Trinity Wall Street