When I was in college, I practically lived in the painting studio. But I didn’t keep it up after I graduated. When I tried to get back into it I discarded canvas after canvas, thinking the next project would surely be easier. After a while, I convinced myself that I had forgotten how to paint. Maybe I just wasn’t good at it anymore.
More and more schools and school districts are recognizing that we need to change the whole way we think about “discipline.”
Introducing mindfulness into the middle school classroom has been an interesting endeavor for me this year. Mindful awareness (attending to the here and now, being fully present, with intention and curiosity, trying not to judge) is challenging for most people. It certainly has been for me.
I was working in Warren recently, a city hard hit by layoffs and shutdowns in the Ohio Rust Belt. One of the 8th grade teachers asked me if I could model a circle in her classroom. She was interested in engaging her students in a different way.
“How do we ensure that schools are warm, welcoming, fair, and effective in the treatment of all students?”
Fourth-graders (the amazing 4B!) in our PAZ after-school program at PS 214 in the Bronx just sent us a giant thank you card, and we thought we'd share it with you!
As Education Week recently reported, a new study by the Center for Benefit-Cost Studies of Education at Columbia University's Teachers College, "The Economic Value of Social and Emotional Learning," found that high-quality, research-validated social and emotional learning programs bring a return of $11 for every $1 invested.
I’ve been complimented on my English about as often as I’ve been asked why I don’t speak Spanish. In high school and college I was frequently labeled “exotic.” My curly hair is mystifying to people everywhere, it seems, as I am constantly asked a stream of questions about it. Is it really just like that? How do I control it? Why don’t I straighten it?
- School Services
- Classroom Lessons
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
TeachableMoment Recent Classroom Lessons
- Trump inaugurated, women & allies march January 22, 2017
- Why the Controversy over Attorney General Nominee Jeff Sessions? January 19, 2017
- What Does the Trump Administration Mean for Climate Change? January 16, 2017
Social & Emotional Learning
- Building Community, Post-Election: The Power of Kindness November 18, 2016
- Building Community, Post-Election: Sharing our Values November 18, 2016
- Election Emotions: Sharing & Community-Building November 9, 2016
- NewsLatest in news, events, & announcements!
- Ask the KeeperAnswers to your questions about restorative practices in schools.
- In the CircleStaff developer Marieke van Woerkom’s blog on circles and restorative practices
- SEL TipsSEL strategies for solving classroom challenges.
- Stories and VoicesWritings from teachers, students & our staff